Friday, August 19, 2011

El Nido






So last week I hopped in a van for the 6 hour trek north to El Nido. Cute little town with shops along the beach and THE spot for catching a boat to the many of smaller uninhabited islands of Bacuit Bay. Everyone sells the same tours: Tour A, Tour B, Tour C and Tour D. All of which are a full-day trip of exploring the pristine beaches and snorkel the crystal clear blue waters of lagoons and bays. On Tour A, I met a nervous-angry American and his filipina girlfriend. We set off on a pangka ride and learned not to ask questions. Because like some people, he really liked to talk and talk and talk, but never say a thing. I still have not mastered how to get out of that awkward social situation, especially when you are facing each other in a tiny little boat where your knees touch when we rode over a big wave...Mrs. Hornblower would be proud of my response (or lack of).

Halfway through the island-hopping, they pulled over and the two locals prepared our lunch over an open fire, very quaint and oddly enough tasty. Less talking with fish in your mouth:)

The next day I lingered around waiting for the rain to cease. I scripted 32 postcards to my class and got a massage at a little parlor across from my hotel. Since there is no electricity in the "city" from 6am to 2 pm, you have no choice but to get out and go once the roosters crow. Here is where I really lucked out. The owner, a tough Korean guy, decided to take his personal speed boat (only one in El Nido) out for Tour C. He invited me and a French couple to join him. We waited until the rain stopped and set off to a variety of isolated isles. We were the only people on these beaches and at one point I looked up at the tall limestone cliffs and took a mental picture. Literally so exquisite and so untouristy, I thought to myself, "One of the last frontiers." I feel lucky to have experienced Palawan before the inevitable hits and everyone starts to head there and ruin it.

So this leaves me back in Sabang at the fancy hotel. There are only 4-6 other rooms occupied and I have this grand place pretty much to myself again. Lucky me! I've been relishing this time, therefore no blog posts until now. Just 3 more days here, back to Manila and fly home again to make more money for next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment